There is so much to think about when new baby arrives….and one of the most important, but sometimes most difficult thing is….getting sleep patterns right! And not just when and where, but how much?? 🤔😴
Here is a 2 minute guide on how much sleep your baby really needs from birth onwards!! 😍😴😍
It is a very unfortunate fact of life that babies don’t come with instruction manuals (Pity!!). But we do have great guidelines on what we can generally expect, and what baby needs!! Little ones need so much to keep them happy, healthy, fit and growing….one of the most important things, is getting enough sleep from Day 1! 💙💜💙
- 1-2 Months – Baby will usually sleep about 15-18 hours a day, with approximately 9 hours of that time during the day. You will quickly pick up on the cues that the baby is ready for a nap; some will fall asleep shortly after a feed or even while they are feeding. Take note of those little tell tale signs….its good to learn what to watch for to avoid baby getting over tired!
- 2-6 Months – Now is the time that every parent looks forward to….baby normally begins to sleep for longer stretches through the night!!! But remember…..every baby is different and it will all come in time. By about three months, they can eat more, so they can sleep that little bit longer. They still need approximately 14-16 hours, but their nap times will shorten. When you start to introduce some solid foods later on, that also usually helps the baby begin to sleep longer at night, so don’t worry!!!
- 6-9 Months– From 6-9 Months, your little one will drop to about fourteen hours of sleep each day, with about 3-5 hours at naptime. However, sometimes at about six months, infants will still wake up during the night. If they are sleeping in their own room, they will wake and realize that mum or dad is not right there. Sometimes they will settle back, but sometimes they just need to know you are there. So don’t go immediately for a feed to settle them back down….reassurance can go a long way!!
- 9-12 Months – Unbelievably that 1 year milestone is creeping up quickly! Where did that time go? But hopefully by now, your little one should be sleeping through the night on a regular basis. While they still need about 14 hours, they begin to nap less. They may only nap for about 2-3 hours during the day.
- 12-18 Months – By the time baby is about a year old, they will normally be sleeping about thirteen hours a day. They will last about ten or eleven at night, with 1-3 hours nap during the day. Some children may not want to even nap at all. They are too busy having fun!! But it is still a good idea to try to encourage naptime.
As with most milestones, no two children are the same! And no 2 days or nights are the same…..be flexible, but still try to ensure that your baby is getting enough rest. Happy sleeping little ones!! 😴😴😴